(keitai-l) Re: Loading images based on handset

From: Stephen Chasey <src_at_ubit.com>
Date: 04/11/06
Hello Carlos,

> They have 3 CSV files. docomo.csv, au.csv, and vodafone,csv
> These files contain two columns, with data like this:
>
> SH900i	l.gif
> P101	s.gif
> TR10	l.gif
> ST900	m.gif

>  From my newbie brain, I figure I need to find the user_agent. Then
> based on that assign the correct image for the handset.

That's one way to do it.  Map user agent to handset make/model name, map
make/model to file.  You could just add the UA to the CSV as a 3rd
column.  You can get lists from the Japanese carrier sites.

> At the moment, they use a slow and large CGI/Perl script to do this job.
> The script though does much more than they need.
>
> I hope I explained my problem well. What are you guys doing/using for
> such a case? I'm really lost.

Well, the company I work at has developed a platform that specializes in
what you are describing (not a one-man job ;)).  Maybe you don't need to
go that far, and it sounds like your client has rolled their own solution
anyways.  Since your client already makes keitai pages, is there any
reason you cannot ask them for guidance?  If they are not aware of your
noobiness, you may be getting in over your head.

Steve