(keitai-l) Re: Communications options in Japan, especially mobile

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 04/17/06
    Interesting.  I mentioned Dion by KDDI as a ISP, not as a mobile
would be a good choice.  They are separate companies.  Dion by KDDI
and AU by KDDI and TuKa by KDDI.... they are all somewhat independent.
I don't recall recommending AU by KDDI in my last email.

    I've never gotten spam on my AU.  Simply choose a crazy email
at the very start... (a really crazy one).  You'll never get spam...
(and of course give it to only close friends).

    You can still get new Tuka's (at least last time I checked 3 months ago)
from any TuKa shop!  Although I've always been afraid they will close
for good.... Its been worrying me for 5 or more years..waiting for that
dreaded day.  They are very cheap.  but you could be right, they
may not be giving out new contracts anymore.

    There are other PHSes besides Willcom and Yahoo.  I know but
I've never checked out the brands, as it does not interest me.  Willcom
and Yahoo are the newcomers.... I don't think those two are PHS, but they
might be.  I think DoCoMo has PHS service, and something like PowerAstel
used to be one of the PHS providers.  Its all quite complex.

    Lastly I didn't know you used your mobiles to connect to the internet.
If you do, be prepared for bigger bills... I thought you were interested
in cheap ways to use them for talking.  If so, my advice is useless, you
are right... sorry!

--
Paul B. Lester

EMAIL: paul@thetamusic.com