(keitai-l) Re: Opera Mini (was: Lengthy review of the WS003SH)

From: Paul Lester <paul_at_thetamusic.com>
Date: 07/26/06
Chris Houser wrote:

> On 7/26/06, tiger@zombiezodiac.com <tiger@zombiezodiac.com> wrote:
> >
> > Are folks on the list just using English phone UI and browsers?
>
> I am. (This is an English-language mailing list.)

yes but an English mailing list about Japan, so I assume many of the users here,
have phones and computers set to Japanese locale or IP address.  It gives
me a headache with many US-centric sites who assume I do not speak English,
(and fortunately I understand Japanese).  It always nice if its easy for the
web site to let you change your locale with simple links, but many don't now.

    I use Japanese OS, Japanese browsers, and both Japanese and English phones.
I'm in the US now and my locale is set to Japan and Japanese time so I can synch
with Japan for work easier.

    I have some Japanese phones but I have the generations that don't work in the US.

> > 4) Went back to the marketing site and got the URL for download.  No QR
> > Code on
> > the marketing site.
>
> I'm pretty sure QR codes work only on some Japanese phones;
> Opera is not a Japanese company.

Some... you say.. yes some... but some is a HUGE number of them.  I'd say
most phones accept QR codes now.  You seem not to be aware of the prevalence
of QR in Japan.

> > 10) Help installation page wastes a bunch of time talking about
> > Internet Access
> > Points.  How many wifi phones exist in Japan?
>
> Few. Japan is in the dark ages.
> (Although McDonald's recently got much more descriptive pamphlets.)

    Don't say Japan is in the Dark Ages... the technology is very different.  US uses
Wi-Fi for some PDA-phones.... Japanese phones can access the internet without the need for Wi-Fi.
Its a technology choice difference... Anyway Wi-Fi is all over Tokyo... Its everywhere
I go from the trains to the middle of Roppongi hills, etc etc.  Wi-Fi is used
for computers and PDAs, not mobiles.  Each country chooses what technologies
they wish to use.  I'd say there is more Wi-Fi in Japan than the US.. I can't believe
they still advertise dialup ISPs in the US... Its sad... I even have to use dialup sometimes
here.  And here in the US the computer connection speed is 10-100 times slower on broadband.
I was used to 45-70 Mbits/s in Japan and now I'm lucky if I get 1-2 Mbits/s.

    I'm hoping the US starts using the 1000 Mbit/s standard soon and gets some
hikarifiber setup.  I was so looking foward to that.

> > That's way too much energy for me.  I'm giving up on Opera Mini.  I'm
> > left with
> > the impression that although Opera is translating their software, they haven't
> > done any work to appropriately release their software in the Japan market.
>
> Opera Mini is a MIDP2 program; it should work on any modern occidental
> phone, and most Japanese phones (except for old DoCoMo's, which use a
> non-standard Java library - curse of the early adopter).

    Many Japanese phones have stopped support for MIDP.  And many Occidental
phones are not using MIDP.  There's a BREW- Java war brewing.  The non-MIDP
phones use BREW mostly.  I'm rooting for MIDP, but the battles are fierce.

--
Paul B. Lester

EMAIL: paul@thetamusic.com
--