(keitai-l) Re: FOMA phones hacked?

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/06/06
On 2006/09/05, at 23:10, Curt Sampson wrote:

> Or just offer leases. I would happily pay a thousand yen a month to
> lease a phone for a year, if I could upgrade at yearly or slightly
> longer intervals. Though what they'd do with the used phones is
> anyone's
> guess.

Shows that you have not been very long in Japan....

When DoCoMo still had the monopoly for mobile phones in Japan,
all mobile phones were on lease.

There was US-Japan trade friction about the mobile phone leases,
and US Government said that it was a trade barrier for Motorola
and other US manufacturers of mobile phones that mobile phones
were leased in Japan. Japan gave in, ended the leases, and started
to sell mobile phones.

At that time Japan's mobile phone market started to take off.

I don't think anyone will go back to the time of leasing phones

Gerhard