(keitai-l) unlocking SIM cards

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/17/06
On 2006/09/17, at 10:03, Nik Frengle wrote:
> Hacking phone is basically an economic behaviour: The motive and
> opportunity
> are both motivated economically. The motive is to be able to save
> money by
> using other carriers for certain services (roaming is a big one),
> and the
> opportunity is one that includes an economic evaluation of the
> potential
> rewards for doing it versus the penalties.
> Best,
> Nik

I think what you write, Nik, is misleading.

Actually, in at least in the UK, the UK regulator OFCOM regulates
that mobile operators must unlock SIM cards for their customers
under certain circumstances.

So at least in the UK unlocking SIM cards is far from a crime with
penalties -
it is a consumer right.

However, this is not widely advertised by the mobile operators.

Details can be found on the UK regulators website:
http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/Oftel/consumer/advice/faqs/
mobfaq3.htm

In Japan the unlocking of SIM cards is probably not yet a consumer right
as in the UK, but who knows what will happen in the future.

Gerhard