(keitai-l) Re: BlackBerry's launch in Japan

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mikes_at_opera.com>
Date: 09/19/06
"ben@benmiller.com" <ben@benmiller.com>, 2006-09-19 21:31 +0900:

> marketing spend and infrastructure investment) are there reasons why
> the Japanese-language input product available in the US
> (http://www.namikiteru.com/en/index1.html) would not be relatively
> easy to implement?

I notice that the News Headline part of that page currently says
"Namimail v2.0 will be equipped on BlackBerry for sale in Japan
starting 9/25". And the page about Nanimail itself says "Namimail
1.x comes with Japanese font and IME (Input Method Editor)
enabling Blackberry devices to read and write Japanese."

The Japanese version says 日本で発売のBlackberry, so unless some
aftermarket reseller will be installing Namimail on Blackberrys
and reselling them, I'd assume that means RIM (or whoever their
official reseller is here) will be selling them with Namimail
pre-installed. (Which would contradict some, um, supposedly
authoritative reports posted earlier on this list suggesting that
they'd be shipping without a Japanese IME.)

  --Mike