(keitai-l) Re: SoftBank X01HT

From: Greg Conquest (home) <conquest_at_spamcop.net>
Date: 11/08/06
(third try sending this - new message and less html)
(I sent this a few hours ago -- didn't post -- I cut links down and
posted again -- sorry if it double-posts.)

Hugh Ashton wrote:
 > On 08/11/2006 0:05, "Stuart Woodward" <stuartcw@gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 >> The SoftBank X01HT looks really nice. It is even wifi capable.
 >>
 >> mb.softbank.jp/mb/en/product/3g/x01ht/index.html
 >>
 >> What's the catch? :-)
 >
 > It uses a Micro$oft operating system?
 > It's hacked so no third-party apps can be installed?
 > It won't sync with Macintoshes?

No third-party apps can be installed? Are you sure? That would seem to
violate license requirements for Windows Mobile 5.0. At least I hope
such a move would be in violation.

There is at least one thread on unlocking and flashing the X01HT
somewhere . . . oh, http://tinyurl.com/y3pth5 and http://tinyurl.com/y3zjqd

 > And as they say, it won't send MMS, so any non-SB messages have to go
 > through an ISP (packet charges)

I'm seriously thinking about:
- buying one
- keeping the Japanese OS (and the missing modem application)
- adding some English apps
- generally using keitai for e-mail
- mostly using various wifi hotspots for webby stuff.

I have checked several times, though, and I have not been able to find a
large source of low-priced or free applications for Windows Mobile. The
Zaurus and the Palm have a *lot* of nearly free apps available. Have I
just missed a good source somewhere, or is Windows Mobile avoided by
open source programmers?

Greg