(keitai-l) Re: Is the new(?) AU Open Appli Player that great?

From: Michael(tm) Smith <mike_at_w3.org>
Date: 01/22/07
Paul Baron <paul@in-duce.net>, 2007-01-22 13:22 +0900:
> ok, whatever... I am sure there have been ways to run Java apps in
> Brew for some years in the dev circles.
> ...but never for the lambda end-user, and never advertised the way AU
> is doing it this time.
>
> So my question is What does it mean for us end-users. Do you think it
> will allow all of us to suddenly run any Java app or will they need to
> be authorized in any way etc...

KDDI's EZfactory site has some limited technical details about it:

  http://www.au.kddi.com/ezfactory/tec/spec/openappli.html (J only)

Beyond that I don't know what other specific technical docs KDDI
might have available for developers; but I do know that it's
basically just a Brew port of the Aplix JBlend VM.

Aplix put out a press release about it a few months ago:

  http://www.aplix.co.jp/jp/release/2006/pr061010.html (J)
  http://www.aplixcorp.com/en/release/2006/pr101006.html (E)

Knowing that a good number of third-party developers are pretty
frustrated with the Brew development process, I'd guess that
having the option of developing Java apps for the Open-Appli
Player (or repurposing existing Java apps they've already
developed) is going to make a lot of them pretty happy.

I'm sure there are some limitations. For one thing, I'd wonder
about the performance of apps running on it -- given that they're
running in a VM which is in turn running on top of Brew.

Anyway, as far as other specific info about the Brew port of
JBlend, it looks like it's been available for a year or more:

  http://www.aplixcorp.com/en/release/2005/pr110105.html

And there are a few more more details about it here:

  http://www.aplixcorp.com/en/products/jb_micro/overview.html

And you can find a few articles by doing a search for
オープンアプリ on the ケータイWatch site:

  http://k-tai.impress.co.jp/

Or at the ITmedia site:

  http://www.itmedia.co.jp/