(keitai-l) Re: Symbian stumbles; Microsoft swaggers; Palm and Linux out to lunch

From: Kyle Barrow <kyle_at_pukupi.com>
Date: 01/26/07
On Jan 26, 2007, at 14:12, Greg Conquest (home) wrote:

> If I want a user-configurable phone/pda for Japan, with a community of
> small developers and open projects, Windows Mobile is currently the
> only
> choice. Right? Please tell me I'm wrong here if I'm overlooking
> something . . . OpenMoko PDA soon? The real new Palm OS finally?
> Everybody is tired on the platform changes and is just going to
> JAVA . .
> . Anything?

Japanese mobiles have never been open; Windows Mobile is an anomaly
with a relatively tiny Japanese user base. If you want to build
something for the broader Japanese market, do it in Java or Flash.

Symbian is open, just not in Japan. Any fruits of the recently formed
LiMo Foundation (http://www.limofoundation.org/) released in Japan
are likely to be locked down too. Palm is dead.

Kyle