(keitai-l) Re: XHTML UTF-8 support in Japan

From: Curt Sampson <cjs_at_cynic.net>
Date: 12/12/07
On 2007-12-12 16:47 +0900 (Wed), Paul Lester wrote:

> Pretty much all DoCoMo phones are handling UTF-8 now last I
> checked (a few years ago!!), but people still use their own phones
> from even before that.

You know, I'm sure I checked my D903i shortly after I got it a year
or so ago, and it showed mojibake for UTF-8 pages (though UTF-8 mail
was ok). Now it's fine. I have a suspicion that Docomo started doing
conversion at the gateway for web pages as well as for e-mail.

Does someone have a fairly old Docomo keitai with which to check?

    http://www.cynic.net/tmp/utf-8.html

(I can't put up the test page at starling-software.com because all our
sites do automatic conversion to Shift_JIS for Docomo--we're too good!)

> Its kind of disturbing but many programmers assume everyone has moved
> on and many people have not.

Or it could be that they're checking their server logs, noting how many
people log in with which models, and making a financial decision not to
support models older than a certain age.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson       <cjs@starling-software.com>        +81 90 7737 2974