(keitai-l) Re: M-Commerce

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 04/14/00
calvin lash wrote:

>         <SNIP>
> > > To build the new e-commerce standard the three phone manufacturers will be
> > > using technology they jointly developed for WAP, which has become the de facto
> > > standard protocol for mobile web-pages.
>
> Like it or not, iMode (a CHTML variant) has the market share in Japan.
> As long as DoCoMo keeps it's competitive edge, WAP will continue to be
> marginalized here.   Have I got it wrong, but isn't the greater concern
> DoCoMo's control over iMode portal?

de facto (d fkt, d)
  adv.
          In reality or fact; actually.

  adj.
           1.Actual: de facto segregation.
           2.Actually exercising power though not legally or officially established: a
de facto government.

  [Latin: d, from, according to + fact, ablative of factum, fact.]

I have a real issue with the abuse of the word "de facto". WAP and WML is a standard,
but the REAL de facto standard is cHTML on I-Mode because 6 million people are USING it.

> Fortress like m-portals that don't allow access from outside KEITAI of
> competing systems/companies are a step backward to the bad old days of
> MPT monopolies.

The new 503i series I-Mode phones will supposedly include the ability uniquely identify
a handset (something you can only do now if you're on the I-Menu gateway) and that
should make the portal and m-commerce situation very interesting.

> And not to single out DoCoMo......the word on the street in the Bit
> Valley (Shibuya-Ebisu) is that the normally forward-thinking  Nokia has
> bought the TokyoQ <http:www.tokyoq.com>. From what I hear, Nokia plans
> to post all TokyoQ's astute/quirky content on it's own m-site that will
> be accessible via a Nokia KEITAI only. Sheesh. Somebody has been smoking
> too much lutfisk again.

You can see Nokia's site under 辞書・便利ツール near the bottom of the I-Menu, complete
with Tokyo Q contents. The first official website with any English contents of any depth
whatsoever (I don't think Daily Yomiuri counts b/c most of their readers -- even for the
English paper -- are Japanese).

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144