(keitai-l) marketing i-mode site launched

From: Brent Bossom <brent_at_flyingcolor.com>
Date: 05/17/00
FlyingColor (the company I work for) have just launched an i-MODE site
dedicated to marketing a new Nike shoe...

http://www.presto-i.com/

As we all know on this list, the world is going mobile, and the Nike site is
an example of how fast big companies are "getting it". Remember how long it
took to persuade them to put up a corporate web site in the early days of
the Internet? Now, of course, everyone has one, but it took 5 or 6 years to
get to that point. How long until every company is hawking stuff from a
mobile phone?? Not long, I think.

Anyway, we feel the site is significant (and worth mentioning on the list)
because:

1) Nike chose i-MODE over a traditional website to communicate with their
young, hip target (there is no Presto website)
2) it is a guerrilla campaign with the messages, creative executions, promo
activity and media all integrated and pointing back to the site (offline
media, including magazines, billboards and train ads all have the URL
printed next to a picture of an i-mode phone)
3) the site adds deeper brand communication and interactivity that could not
be done through the mainline media alone
4) i-MODE email addresses and permission (opt-in) are collected for future
Nike marketing efforts
5) the site includes almost all that can currently be done on the mode
(downloadable graphics, chakumelo, phone-to, and even dial-up and listen
(try it!)
6) it is not an official i-MODE site

While lots of developers are trying to make money by charging for content
(and I realise that many *are* making money) we are trying to get brands to
sponsor "katte" sites that consumers can use for free but have the kind of
content that they might otherwise be happy to pay for. Brands win, and
consumers win. We feel that there is still a lot of room for developers and
agencies to use the medium this way (our other current site is a club guide
sponsored by Heineken at http://www.heineken.co.jp/i/)

I hope this posting wasn't too offensive to anyone. Comments about the
posting or the site are welcome.

Brent

**Interested in mobile Internet development? We're hiring!**

Brent Bossom (m: brent@ezb.ido.ne.jp)
Manager, Mobile Internet
The FlyingColor Group
2-23-17 Ebisu Minami,
Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0022
Tel:- +81 (0)3 3760 9999  Fax:- +81 (0)3 3760 9990
Full Contact E-Marketing     www.flyingcolor.com