(keitai-l) Re: New member/i-mode stumbles?

From: Giles Richter, WestCyber.com <giles_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 08/11/00
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your comments - I guess the points I think are important are that
the networks in overseas have not yet seen the stress that DoCoMo has,
although any one of them the would probably like to see how it feels to
carry (or just bill) ten million mobile data subscribers each month.

Also, I do not think that crashes of DoCoMo's servers at home bear at all
whether i-mode would succeed overseas or not.  Correct me if I am wrong, but
server capacity is not the defining feature of i-mode - I think of i-mode as
the business model that incentivizes and rewards content providers, the
screen size (i-mode screens are not allowed to get much bigger than they
already are, so they remain consumer items, and pocket-sized), always-on
packet data and easy-to-use CHtml, and micropayments over the phone for data
services (somebody else can chime in with more key features).

I actually do not know what overseas carriers are waiting for.  They do not
need NTT to announce the arrival of i-mode.  They can try introducing chtml
browsers and using the "content-alliance" and billing business model NTT
uses.  If their networks can handle packet data, and deliver service that
delivers content quickly and reliably, they can call that service anything
they want and start doing business, because people will pay for it.

Well, enough fluff from me!

-Giles

Subject: (keitai-l) New member/i-mode stumbles?