(keitai-l) Re: New member/i-mode stumbles?

From: Giles Richter, WestCyber.com <giles_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 08/12/00
From: Michael Turner <leap@gol.com>
To: <keitai-l@appelsiini.net>
Sent: Saturday, August 12, 2000 2:58 PM
Subject: (keitai-l) Re: New member/i-mode stumbles?

> An almost-always-on internet connection wherever you go?
> Giles' piece should really have been called "Why i-Mode Crashes
> *Hardly* Matter."

Okay - Michael is right. I have to admit I have practically never noticed a
real i-mode "outage" (the kind you read about in the news) although I have
had plenty of trouble connecting in cell-crowded areas or at peak
times...but they make for good stories!

I-mode crashes are news because the service generally works so well.  Just
the way in Japan, a story about a stopped or delayed train (the Bullet Train
or the Tokyo Chuo Line) gets broadcast on television. In the US, TV stations
won't report a train story unless it involves a derailing or a crash - a
simple "outage" or delay would not be newsworthy.  They simply happen too
often to get anybody's attention...