(keitai-l) Re: Bilingual phone recommendation

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 09/02/00
David Jones wrote:

> I'd like to know which bilingual phone is the best in Japan.  I am
> considering getting a Nokia NM502i.  Is this a good model?  All comments are
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Dave

I have a NM502i. It's "cute" with the sliding dialing pad cover,
and it's small. Actually, I normally use it in the fully Japanese mode,
so I don't know how good the English menues are. I have once tried
out the English menues, and they look as if they have been prepared
by someone who's native language is Japanese. You can get a set
of English manuals at the NTT-DoCoMo owned shops, but not normally
at the many ordinary keitai-sales shops. I think the English manuals
only cover part of the information covered in the Japanese manuals,
so in that sense it's not 100% bilingual - more like 60% bilingual.

One disadvantage is that the screen is smaller than competing models,
and the screen is black & white, while there are competing models
with gray scale monitors and color monitors. So if you are addicted
to animations of Pikachu and Hello-Kitty and hamsters you better get
a model with a color screen.

Hope this helps,

Gerhard Fasol
http://www.eurotechnology.com/