(keitai-l) java & MP4

From: dc <dc_at_gamelet.com>
Date: 10/04/00
Hi -

Some ppl may have seen this, but being in the US I don't scan all japanese
press, so...

This interesting clip shows the prototype java phones from DoCoMo, using
java and MPEG4 together.

The stream shows a realtime traffic app and talks about how java is used to
zoom in on the action, and then cuts to an MP4 stream _embedded_ in the java
app, showing the actual traffic camera, allegedly realtime traffic info.
Another app demo'd is a fishing info-tainment thing, giving stats on ponds
and a fish encyclopedia.

If this is a java player for MP4, ie not native code, the decoder
performance is very impressive.
If its a third party native code library, which is that tightly integrated
with java, shipped in an actual i-mode phone, I'd like to know more about
the development. Is this part of the i-mode java api?

This is presented as "prototype" h/ware but I guess the release of these
phones is now pretty imminent - is this the actual functional unit that will
ship?

Article:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/stream/digital/000920.htm

Stream:
http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/stream/digital/000920_3.smil

mata,

dc
david [dc] collier              ceo | Gamelet.com
                                e   | dc@gamelet.com
                                v   | 415.552.4968
Entertainment Marketing Technology  | http://www.gamelet.com