(keitai-l) Re: Justin Chamberlain on i-mode

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 10/18/00
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>it's the wall between official sites on the gateway and onofficial sites
>out
>there in the wild.

I am not sure about this  - it is true that one gets extra benefits
inside the portal, and has constraints placed on one.  HOWEVER - that is
"additional functionality" as such - comparing THAT with WAP is comparing
apples with oranges (deshou...?) Being a wild site brings you no less than
you get on the internet - being in their portal gives you a little more -
but no more than a company could provide on the full 'net if they/you so
chose (proxying all requests from a browser and providing billing). Wild
Imode is what one should really compare with WAP....

I see the the portal is something extra - an addition, to what one has
with a wild site... Not ALL business models require billing of the browser
user. If you have an active (internet) web site, that advertsises the
imode gateway.

But this
>Jani PATOKALLIO wrote

>I wonder what would happen if NTT decided to block off access
>to random URLs and only allow navigation within its own
>garden?  In a true monopoly they'd make even more of a killing
>than they're making now, but DDI & J-Phone exist and would
>be glad to take those jumping over the wall...

.... is the real worry - though I think it is unlikely.

Nick