(keitai-l) Re: Justin Chamberlain on i-mode

From: jeffrey funk <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 10/19/00
- I think we need to think about the mobile Internet not just from a short
term perspective where
-  simple and interesting contents are important but also from a long term
perspective. In the long run, the value of the mobile internet will be a
function of the number of linkages between sites just as the linkages
between sites on the fixed-line internet are critical. Mobile phone screens
will become bigger and the growing use of other types of handsets (PDAs,
e-mail handsets) to access the mobile Internet will make these linkages
indispensable. If Docomo continues to restrict the linkages between official
and non-official sites, I-mode will never become the truly valuable system
that it has the potential to become.
-
- (Jeff Funk)

Ren Kuroda wrote:
I don't actually think this holds true for wireless. I honestly think the
value
of a wireless network is in the quality of contents, not the quantity.

Which is why a limited walled garden of only 650 quality sites is much
better on
a cellphone than thousands of random sites...

Then again your point of networking people to each other (vs people to
information) is relevant -- email on i-mode is successful partially b/c
it's
connected to ALL email networks by default (note for example J-Phone can
only
SEND to any email address; to receive from a non-J-Phone email address you
need
to sign up and pay extra).

r en

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature

-- Type: application/ms-tnef