(keitai-l) Re: Hummingbirds in a wAOLed Garden? (was Re: Justin Chamberlain on i-mode)

From: jeffrey funk <funk_at_rose.rokkodai.kobe-u.ac.jp>
Date: 10/23/00
From:	Jani PATOKALLIO [SMTP:jpatokal@iki.fi]
Sent:	Monday, October 23, 2000 3:34 PM
To:	keitai-l@appelsiini.net
Subject:	(keitai-l) Re: Hummingbirds in a wAOLed Garden? (was Re: Justin
Chamberlain on i-mode)

Michael Turner wrote:
> > Mobile phone screens
> > will become bigger and the growing use of other types of handsets
(PDAs,
> > e-mail handsets) to access the mobile Internet will make these
linkages
> > indispensable.
>
> Here, you really lose me.  Mobile phone screens can only grow so
> much before impinging on the physical convenience of the phone.
> I want something I can put in my pocket.

..unless you go for a wearable display.  The Sony Glasstron is a
low-end example, MicroOptical's devices are a more practical
example.  (http://www.microopticalcorp.com/eyefaq.htm)

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo

Jeff funk responds

Phone weight in japan has been dropping at greater than 15% per year over
the last five years. 50 gram voice only phones are now available while the
phones with the largest screens (NEC phones) are about 90-100 grams. Phone
manufacturers can either make their phones even lighter and smaller than
they already are or they can maintain phone weight and increase the screen
size. I predict that they will do both and thus a wide variety of phones
will emerge some of which will have very large screens. Further, as Jani
points out, some phones will also utilize wearable computing. It won't be
long before the distinction between phones and PDAs becomes meaningless as a
huge variety of devices emerge. a recent article in the shukan toyo keizai
(10/14) claims that docomo will release regular handsets, TV and video
handsets, data special handsets, and navigation handsets for the wcdma
standard next may. Will these be considered PDAs or phones?

-- Type: application/ms-tnef