(keitai-l) Java vs WAP

From: <paul.c.eijkemans_at_ac.com>
Date: 10/25/00
I agree with everyone that the headline and the claim in the article are
terrible. Java will never REPLACE WAP.

However, on the functional level Java could replace some of the WML and
WMLScript functionality simply because it will offer more functionality. We
have seen similar examples on the Web where Java (including JavaScript) is
used for things like building fancy menu structures, instead of using HTML.
Also, technologies such as Flash are more and more replacing other
technologies, merely because of incompatibilities between browsers,
something which a Flash-plugin doesn't have any problems with.

So in my opinion we will make more use of Java midlets to replace WML and
WMLScript on a functional level, in the future.

Paul