(keitai-l) Re: Text editor with Shift_JIS support

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 10/31/00
Jarno Elovirta wrote:
> Hip hei!

Kombanwa!

> Can anyone recommend a text editor that can open/save documents using
> Shift_JIS encoding for *non-Japanese* Windows?

Getting Japanese support on a non-Japanese Windows system is a
highly nontrivial exercise: it's not just the encoding, it's also
full multibyte character support, fonts, the IME, etc...
I'm under the impression that Windows/Office 2000 make your life
much easier, but for earlier versions it's a pain.

That said, the simplest route to proceed is to get yourself a copy
of JWP, which is freeware and lets you read and write Japanese in a
number of formats, including Shi(f)tJIS.  You can find it and much
more here: http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/japanese.html

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo