(keitai-l) Re: Business Model

From: Oliver Wittchow <ow_at_nanoloop.de>
Date: 10/31/00
> This seems to be the general problem in the Mobile Market. There
> seems to be NO solid business model yet !

WAP, which was always advertised as something solid and useful (or what
marketing experts think what people think what was useful: banking,
downloading stock exchange data, banking, downloading stock exchange
data, banking, downloading stock exchange data, etc, etc), failed in
europe while SMS and SMS-based chakumero/logo download has become
extremly popular. This anti-WAP "subculture" is very expensive sometimes
but people don't mind because they love playing around with their
phones. Playing is culture and a much more serious business model than,
say -just for example- downloading stock exchange data.

On the other hand, in wide parts of society even a normal cell phone is
still something special and needs to be justified with useful
applications (allthough everyone has one of course). At least here in
germany even young people often have a complicated, unrelaxed, almost
schizophrene relation to new technology. I guess marketing is a hard job
here..

quoting from Cris Vulpe "Re: mp3 to keitai?":

> Let me just say that the major difference is probably public
> transportation.  In Japan millions of people spend many hours
> a day in public transportation and have the time to use the
> phone.  This does not happen in the US.  Not yet, at least.

Don't you have those large shopping malls with all those star bucks all
over the country where young people hang out all day?

greetings

Oliver Wittchow