(keitai-l) Re: 2 newsbytes

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 11/01/00
Nick May wrote:
> keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
> >According to NSI this name was reserved on 11-Mar-1996 and expires on
> >12-Mar-2010. Looks like the owner wants to squat on this one for a
> >while.
>
> They have no chance.
> If DOCOMO don't play nice, they will simply have it ripped off them.
> (see today's Slashdot if you doubt this)

And read today's Slashdot as well:

  http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=00/10/31/1719237&cid=76

The case is nowhere near as clear-cut as the editorial makes it out
to be and I, for one, think WIPO made the right decision.

Anyway, as "dokomo" (=docomo) means "anywhere" in Japanese, it
would be quite difficult for NTT DoCoMo to claim a monopoly on
the word.  It is blatantly obvious that www.docomo.com is not
NTT DoCoMo, and the owner of the site has been kind enough to
even provide a link out to NTT for any confused people.
I'm sure NTT DoCoMo would be interested in the domain, but
odds are the only way they can get their hands on it is with a
polite request accompanied by a nice fat cash envelope.  Any
attempt to stomp on it would get massive publicity and
cause equally massive loss of face.

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo