(keitai-l) Re: Mobile System GameBoy

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 11/02/00
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>Why?
>
>Paul
>
>----------------------------
>
>I think people should remember that the mobile market in Japan is
>probably more strongly driven by young people than it is in other
>countries.
>
>Nick

(The posting to which my comment was a response was wanting to know where
the "mature business models" were.... I took this to be less of a call for
business models that were mature ('cos their ain't any on the net) than a
desire to have business models for services for <condescension>"mature
people"</condescension>)

to answer your question...
..... because your success will depend on whether you can provide
applications that are appropriate to the target market. And the apps you
can sensibly provide are going to depend on the state of the technology as
much as on anything else.

So if your market in handsets is driven by the young, you would do well to
provide applications that appeal most to them.

And as ren has rather sagely pointed out, given the limitations of the
technology,  the applications that make most sense with wireless in its
current technological manifestations tend to be those that appeal more to
the youth/entertainment markets than to the business market. Given the
fact that the tech. is progressing very fast, it helps if a core market
has a high churn rate. It also helps if the users have fewer expectations
(of the online experience) to disappoint and do not do a full cost benefit
analysis before buying their handsets....

I've harped on about porn in previous postings - largely because it is THE
successful, profitable web business. The point about porn is that it is a
service that is chargeable for, instantly downloadable and instantly
gratifying. If your target market is young and half (or more) female porn
has little appeal (as well as not being allowed inside the portal - with
attendant billing problems)   - but jingles and cartoons have EXACTLY the
same advantages - to a particular market. (Cartoons also make rather
smaller gifs than photographic images, which cuts costs....)

Also, in the land of the lolicon complex, you can be damn sure that if
young women buy a keitai, business men will too....

Nick