(keitai-l) Re: number of WAP pages

From: Subhendu Goswami <subhendug_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11/02/00
Juergen

You are right, we do need a better yardstick to measure.  Also apart from dyanamic and static pages there is whole slew of other push services (like stock/coupon alerts ) which does use WAP protocol and sends the message in wml format.  So just the number of wap pages is not a good indiactor to show how much is the penetration of WAP

I can't post my messages. I'm new to this board,. do you know the reason

thanks

 Juergen Specht <js@anima.de> wrote:

Hi Tony,

Thursday, November 02, 2000, you wrote:
TC> I spoke to the CEO of the WAP Forum, Scott Goldman, yesterday and he
TC> told me about a survey by an American company, Pinpoint (they do a WAP
TC> search engine), that found there are now about 10,000 WAP sites out
TC> there now with 4 million (yes, 4 million) individual pages on the Web.
TC> Can anyone confirm? refute?

If you can provide us with the definition what exactly is a 'individual
page'? If a 'page' (something what you see on your screen) is
dynamically generated (and most are) than you can not count individual
pages. And because of the 'deck' concept of WAP 'pages', how does they
count?
Even if a URL is unique this doesn't mean that the 'page' behind
must be unique. Apache has a phantastic and not easy to understand
module for URL rewriting, which can give you the look as the same URL
all the time, even if it's not.

We need a defined measurement to understand each other, or we will stuck
in cultural and knowledge misunderstandings all the time. People still
mix 'hits' with 'pageimpressions' and 'visits', it's awful.

Juergen

[ Did you check the archives? http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/ ]