(keitai-l) Re: i-mode business model & content providers [was RE: I-mode site problems]

From: Subhendu Goswami <subhendug_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 11/03/00
 Jonathan

thanks for your insight. My question was little bit different.  it is ..

since docomo's revenue is tied to the content provider's ability to produce good content and a robust website, does Do-como keep a close control of this provider.  I've checked the 'application form' for the Do-como content providers which mains things like 'content needs to be dyanamic and the provider should provide a contact phone number for tech support etc.  But on a ongoing basis does do-como keep a 'watch'  on all this sites specifically their site uptime statistics, broken link etc.

  Jonathan Shore <jshore@e-shuppan.com> wrote:

> From: keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net [mailto:keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.
> net]On Behalf Of Subhendu Goswami
> Subject: (keitai-l) I-mode site problems

> I'm curious to explore the business relationship between do-como
> the content providers. The relationship must be different than
> what pc based ISPs( FLAT RATE FEE PER MONTH) have with their
> content providers. In a flat rate pricing model which is popular

Not sure what you are getting at here - most ISPs don't have any
relationship with the content providers (web sites) on the web - they are
simply a way for people to connect to the internet.

On another note, on my first read of your message it reminded me of a
problem I've often thought of (as a content provider), is there a viable
i-mode like business model / infrastructure for content browsed on devices
other than keitai (read home PCs, etc)?

In other words is there some way to get people to pay subscription fees much
as one does to get access to many sites on i-mode. Most such experiments
have ended poorly. Would be interesting to do an analysis of sites which
have been able to charge for content - the how and why.

I think the success of i-mode as the first successful internet-based
pay-for-content medium is due to a number of factors:

* convenience of payment
* fact that people expect to pay for keitai-based services
* the shaft-factor in Japan (consumers get shafted here regularly
[1]).

It will be interesting to see if we can expand this model beyond keitai and
portable devices. There is a whole world of content out there which cannot
be produced profitably at the moment (at least with typical web content
models). Ideas?

JS

-- Type: application/ms-tnef
-- File: winmail.dat