(keitai-l) Re: DoCoMo 3G Launch Date

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 11/08/00
Dave wrote:

> > the writer states:
> > "Japan's NTT DoCoMo will introduce a pioneering 3G service for commercial
> > use this November, and launch fully developed commercial services in May
> > 2001."
> > I'm not sure this is true. ...
>
> Daniel,
>         I would love to be corrected on this if my point of view isn't in keeping
> with the general view, but I think the writer of the article needs to
> re-think his definition of "3G". It's not a single, monolithic concept that
> you can insert into a phone. The boys down in the marketing department may
> put it that way, but it doesn't reflect the reality.
>         "3G" is the combination of many concepts which will (hopefully) all come
> together to enrich the mobile internet experience.

I have to disagree. 3G to me means a third generation network: currently being
implemented as either cdma2000 or wCDMA.
I don't consider it a particularly fuzzy issue.

Perhaps the author was confused by the impending java handset rollout?

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature