(keitai-l) Re: How to bring cHTML/i-mode to Europe

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 11/08/00
At 20:28 2000-11-08 +0200, you wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Gustaf Rosell wrote:
>
> > Uäck. I hate WAP gateways. And using gateways where no are needed is
> one of
> > the worst parts of i-mode.
>
>         I'm a bit confused. Are you talking about wap gateways or "i-mode
>         gateways"?

Well, both actually, although they are quite different. I am strongly for a
more layered approach. With a basis in http/HTML and soon SSL, i-mode and
later WAP-NG could replicate the Internet model more closely, where the
same publishing and payment mechanisms as for wired Internet could be used.

Of course, there will be a need for different kind of equipment for
optimizing traffic over the air interface etc., but most of these wouldn't
be real gateways and IP header compression for instance, have been used for
some time in many situationes besides wireless.

So, the closed structure of i-mode is one part I don't really like.
Wireless networks should be more like dumb fat pipes if I could choose.

/gustaf

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747