(keitai-l) Re: D2 communications

From: Heimo Laukkanen <huima_at_wapit.com>
Date: 11/13/00
Jan.Chipchase@nokia.com wrote:

> I know of some location based advertising running in Tokyo in December.
> It'll goes along the lines of: user sees question (on big LCD in harajuku,
> not anywhere else), user goes to i-mode site listed on LCD to answer
> question, user inputs answer, user wins prize (free flights to London) or
> user doesn't win prize. Short email is sent to user.
>
> Has anyone any experience of this model of advertising?

Duh. This is nothing new, since this has been done for ages with
SMS-messages and web.

> I imagine that with Bluetooth location based advertising will be far easier
> to implement.

Okay - but now we have to discuss a bit what actually is location based
advertising is. What you described, is location based, but not that
exciting.

In my mind location based services -- including advertising -- is
something that just happens according to subscribers own profiles and
doesn't necessarily include any pull-actions from the subscribers. Think
about arriving to an airport from another country. You will get
SMS-messages telling you from where to get taxis, hotels, meals etc. Or
walking in a mall, you get messages from stores that fit into your
profile and you have approved getting these sale-ads.

There is the beef.

-huima