(keitai-l) Linguistically Optimal Predictive Text-entry

From: Adam Spitzer <adam_at_eatoni.com>
Date: 12/07/00
Hello List!  I'm new here and I've just read almost every mesg in the
archive - I feel like I know you all now.  I didn't see anything about
text-entry except in Ren's beef about typing.  Typing on a numeric keypad
will continue for a while and it can be made much easier.  There are a few
ideas out there like T9 but they rely on a dictionary (taking up precious
memory and useless for URLs, emails, names, slang, etc).

The company I work for, Eatoni Ergonomics, has a linguistically optimal
predictive text-entry solution.  Our software, intended to run inside your
keitai, is based on statistics and guesses letters as you hit the keys.
Standard multi-tap (hitting the 2 key once for A, twice for B, etc)
averages 2.2 taps per letter.  Our basic product (3Kb database) reduces
that to 1.18 taps per letter.  Our advanced product, called WordWise,
achieves 1.002 taps per letter.  Unlike T9 which often requires you to
pick from wordlists, ours is touch typable.
Read more at http://www.eatoni.com

We're talking to OEMs and carriers around the world, and the reception has
been very good.  I was recently in Japan talking to handset manufacturers
in anticipation of our Japanese language version to be completed in
Jan/Feb 2001.  It's a bit of a challenge as our linguists / programmers
aren't familiar with the language, but they've realized that Japanese has
its unique challenges.

ABOUT ME (if anyone cares...) I have been a producer for a television
network (working with South Park) and a director for a music company
(working with Beastie Boys, The Who, and Jimmy Page). Now I'm infected
with the wireless bug, it's going around.  Three years ago I lived and
partied in Japan so my Osaka-ben is pretty good, but my kanji writing
skills are lacking.  I live/work in New York City and take exotic trips
more than any employed person should...

Cheers from the new guy!
ADAM

Adam E. Spitzer                                   Eatoni Ergonomics, Inc.
Director of Development                           171 Madison Avenue
adam@eatoni.com                                   New York, NY 10016
917.723.4953                                      http://www.eatoni.com