(keitai-l) Re: [REQUEST] Imode emulator

From: Paul Wallace <paul.wallace_at_spike.ne.jp>
Date: 12/07/00
Jean,

Right now there isn't a decent i-mode emulator.

Wapprofit's emulator is simply a desktop browser (probably IE's engine) with
a reduced screen size. It doesn't replicate i-mode any more than reducing
your browser to that size. The text attributes, color palette, memory size,
and other important features of developing for this system are not
represented. Their replication of an i-mode handset is (IMHO) not very crowd
pleasing either, i.e. there's not way that I could take this emulator into a
client presentation to demo/sell an i-mode application.

Pixo's browser is a lot better in some respects, but isn't specifically
tailored to i-mode. The demo version that you download is a grayscale one,
but the screenshots on their site are color. I have emailed them several
times to find out about the color/enhanced version (and i-mode specific
version), but haven't received a response yet. It doesn't support a lot of
i-mode's additions, as it is strictly a cHTML emulator.

BTW, did you know that i-mode's browser does support the table tag?

Basically, I develop with Pixo, along with a desktop browser, then test in
the i-mode handset itself. This can be expensive (and even impossible if
you're outside Japan). We have a lot of amazing Flash developers where I
work, so we've done some demos with Flash and Director creating the i-mode
environment for clients. If anyone is interested in co-developing a
full-featured Flash or Director-based emulator, or would like to hire us to
do this project, please let me know.

There is a real need for a true i-mode emulator on a PC that replicates the
experience of using one of these handsets. Other opinions and/or information
is appreciated.

Paul

] paul wallace, ph.d.
] senior information architect

S   P   I   K   E   C y b e r W o r k s

[TOKYO]  SYDNEY  HONG KONG

> I Have been searching this list and the diverse FAQs and
> sites but could not
> find a decent imode emulator. I know this can be seen from a
> regular browser
> but I would like an actual emulator if it exists. Does anyone
> know if such a
> thing exists (not one based on explorer...)

	[excessive quoting removed]