(keitai-l) Re: Train tickets on your phone?

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 12/11/00
Hi,

>    East Japan
>    Railways announced it will introduce a system to let people make a
>    reservation using their cell phone and so pass through the ticket
>    wicket without a ticket simply by letting their phone be scanned..
>                                         (http://202.221.249.1/tokyoq/)
>
> But www.jreast.co.jp, press releases included, doesn't even hint at
> such a thing as far as I can see.  Any details or pointers?

we had a headline about this on MMJ (pointing to a Daily Yomiuri
article) on December 7, which read:

"East Japan Railway Co. (JR East) has announced a five-year plan to
improve its services and operations by taking advantage of information
technology, including the development of a cellular phone that could
replace conventional tickets." (Daily Yomiuri )

see: http://www.mobilemediajapan.com/2000/12/07

The article at Daily Yomiuri is already gone though, the link from MMJ
to the newspaper site is not valid anymore. You could get the printed
newspaper edition from a magazine archive probably.

Cheers,
Andrea Hoffmann
--
Andrea Hoffmann   ---   Editor-in-Chief   ---    MMJ Online
hoffmann_at_mobilemediajapan.com - http://mobilemediajapan.com