(keitai-l) Re: java on i-mode spec (Japanese only)

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <aps_at_writemail.com>
Date: 12/28/00
Josh wrote:
> > Cool, thanks Ren.  In the meantime, I tried using the www.elingo.com
> > transliterator but it didn't work.  Did anyone else get Elingo to work
> > and/or have other ways to translate?

elingo works fine for me every time I use it. Make sure you select
Japanese as the source language and then press the English button on the
top frame of the next page. If you still have problems try
http://www.t-mail.com/cgi-bin/tsail as they appear to be using the same
engine as elingo - the translation was exactly the same.

Soeren Laursen wrote:
> > Why don't you download NETSCAPE 6. It uses a service called
> GIST IN TIME.

Which is powered by http://www.alis.com/. They have a text translation
tool on their site which gives pretty good results.

www.worldlingo.com also offer a free online machine translation service,
plus you can add a toolbar button and right click menu option in IE to
access them. Unfortunately I usually get mojibake with this service and
the translation quality is worse the www.elingo.com so just stick with
them. In the case of the DoCoMo page mentioned, the encoding appears to be
JIS, so if you wanted to use Worldlingo you would have to save it to you
hard drive as a Shift-JIS page and translate it from there.

Finally, this is a nice service which allows you to see the original and
translation in the same document, if you so wish:
http://www.amikai.com/browse/. The translation quality is up there with
elingo - seems to have improved since the last time I used it. Different
engines perform differently though depending on the nature of the text so
it is worth trying different ones each time if you don't get good results
with the first one.

Ehh. Even more finally, I just thought I'd check Altavista on the
off-chance they had added Japanese to their range of European languages.
Well what do you know: http://world.altavista.com/. It gives very similar
results to Alis, which is not surprising as I think they are both powered
by Systran.

Anyway, regardless of all the above superfluous information, just use
www.elingo.com if you can - it will give you the best results.

Regards,

Andrew