(keitai-l) Re: How is it to see it the very first time?

From: Andrew Shuttleworth <aps_at_writemail.com>
Date: 01/16/01
Juergen wrote:
> In presentations we made to foreigners we saw that since nobody
> could read japanese, nobody really wanted to see the japanese
> version and they all got back to the english sites,

I wrote to the person from Google suggesting (amongst other things) that
as part of their i-mode gateway they provide machine translation for
Japanese sites (as Excite does for normal web sites). The brief nature of
the text on i-mode sites would be more suitable for machine translation.
The main market for such services would I guess be foreigners in Japan at
the moment as they are the only non-Japanese with i-mode capable phones,
although they also have a WAP gateway which would perhaps also convert
i-mode sites. She wondered how many of the Japanese sites are only
relevant to people in Japan.

I can see a few opportunites for niche markets for Google here. If anyone
has any ideas, requests or feedback about the type of demand for this
service I'll collate them and pass them on to Google on behalf of the
list.

Andrew