(keitai-l) Re: How is it to see it the very first time?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/16/01
Jonathan Shore wrote:

> Aside from the "mobile angle" and what that brings to a content/retail
> concept, I don't believe the content we're seeing is fundamentally
> different.  Rather the content market here has put its effort into
> developing around mobile rather than the traditional web.

That is exactly why mobile contents in other countries aren't very interesting.
In Japan, most content assumes:

* The user is killing time (waiting for bus, riding train, waiting to meet
friends) between doing other things. This implies:
    - short bursts of use, rarely more than a few minutes (requires quick and
simple navigation)
    - repeated use throughout the day (requires regular updating)
* The user is on the move
    - wants to go somewhere/do something and needs info (train schedule, sales
info, restaurant guide, maps)
    - is somewhere and needs more info (train schedule, sales info, restaurant
guide, maps)
    - isn't doing much (games, chat, kill time, find something fun to do)

Always the focus is on doing something/figuring out something to do/specifically
doing nothing (killing time)

Add to this personalization based on demographics and location-based services
and you have some winning contents.

US/European contents providers/operators are yet to figure out: the value of
mobile contents is the fact that it's small, fast, and simple. A small screen
and no keyboard isn't an obstacle :
-too small to display anything useful
-to hard to input search criteria
it's an enabler:
-easy operate with one hand
-slip in/out of pocket to glance at quickly

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature