(keitai-l) Re: How is it to see it the very first time?

From: Roopesh_R_Kumar <Roopesh_R_Kumar_at_nissen.co.jp>
Date: 01/16/01
I agree very much with the fact that the Japanese content providers focus
much on the customers that they provide service to. I suppose even in Europe
or in U.S the focus is also quite close to the same. Looking at the targets
of these providers, you can see that most of the wireless internet users
(keitai) in Japan are youngsters aged between 18 and 30. I'm not exactly
sure of what is the usage ratio either in U.S or in Europe, but I suppose
this is very different out there. Even though so many e-business portal
sites have come up in Japan, what do you think is the access ratio of these
site - compared to the enterainment sites. Apart from the miniscule
technology difference, the leading factor to the non-availability of
interesting sites (contents for keitais) are its target customer and
environment.
Roopesh !!

Jonathan Shore wrote:

> Aside from the "mobile angle" and what that brings to a content/retail
> concept, I don't believe the content we're seeing is fundamentally
> different.  Rather the content market here has put its effort into
> developing around mobile rather than the traditional web.

That is exactly why mobile contents in other countries aren't very
interesting.
In Japan, most content assumes:

* The user is killing time (waiting for bus, riding train, waiting to meet
friends) between doing other things. This implies:
    - short bursts of use, rarely more than a few minutes (requires quick
and
simple navigation)
    - repeated use throughout the day (requires regular updating)
* The user is on the move
    - wants to go somewhere/do something and needs info (train schedule,
sales
info, restaurant guide, maps)
    - is somewhere and needs more info (train schedule, sales info,
restaurant
guide, maps)
    - isn't doing much (games, chat, kill time, find something fun to do)

Always the focus is on doing something/figuring out something to
do/specifically
doing nothing (killing time)

Add to this personalization based on demographics and location-based
services
and you have some winning contents.

US/European contents providers/operators are yet to figure out: the value of
mobile contents is the fact that it's small, fast, and simple. A small
screen
and no keyboard isn't an obstacle :
-too small to display anything useful
-to hard to input search criteria
it's an enabler:
-easy operate with one hand
-slip in/out of pocket to glance at quickly

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature