(keitai-l) Re: keitai-l Digest V2 #13

From: Gregory Tucker <tuckerg_at_acm.org>
Date: 01/21/01
Ren,

I think the original poster, Zimran, actually meant that metering of any
sort (by time or by packet) reduces usage, compared against flat-fee.
Flat-fee means that you charge a fixed cost per month.

One argument is that AOL's usage took off after they removed their
time-based fee structure. While I cannot deny the research, I am not
confident that it applies to the situation where bandwidth is very narrow
and expensive, as is the current network. In AOL's case, they jammed up
their modems for several weeks after the change. They did manage to upgrade
capacity, but at a much lower cost and faster timeframe than NTT Docomo
could reasonably achieve.

Regards,
Greg

---