(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Phones Must Die?

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/22/01
Stephen Carter wrote:
> As for an input device, that's a bit harder. After all, we're still using
> keyboards at the desk top. And even though a FEW Japanese teenagers, who
> seem to have little else to do, have mastered input on a Keitai keypad
> doesn't mean that it's a good or desirable input method,or that it will
> become a long-term world standard.

Not to belittle the point, but TENS OF MILLIONS of users across Japan
and Europe who are phenomenally proficient at inputting on a 1-key is
not an anomaly.
Agreed it's not THE solution, but so far it's no worse than a QWERTY
keyboard (itself a reasonably contested input method) and it's certainly
the most prolific; there are hundreds of millions of cell phones in the
world with 10-keys, vastly outnumbering the number of qwerty keyboards
in the world. That alone might mean that, even though 10-key input isn't
the best, it is most certainly the most popular, and therefore a defacto
standard...

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144