(keitai-l) Re: i-mode is NOT always on

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 01/22/01
Arjen van Blokland wrote:

> Can somebody comment if my thoughts are correct?
>
> People claim that i-mode is always on. This is technically speaking
> incorrect and gives the readers outside Japan a wrong impression on the
> capabilities of i-mode.
A very thorough analysis, thanks. In that light, how do we explain the
following:

my phone is 'off' the network (the i is not blinking)
someone sends me an email and immediately my phone connects (i starts
blinking) and the mail is delivered.

Exactly how is the handset getting notified of the incoming mail if it's
not yet on the network?

I am confused.

r e n

> To verify please do the following experiment.
>
> Check the i-icon on your phone. If not connected to the i-mode network
> (connection OFF, but able to connect to i-mode packet switched network),
> the i-icon is not blinking. When you connect to the i-mode network, it
> takes, depending on the time of the day, between 1 second (early in the
> morning) and 5 seconds (around 11pm). Once the connection is established,
> the i-icon is blinking meaning the connection is ON. If no traffic is send
> or received for a period of 3-4 minutes, the connection is automatically
> finished and the i-icon stops blinking. The connection is OFF.
>
> Based on the network architecture as published last year in Nikkei
> Communications and this experiment, i-mode makes use of a hybrid solution,
> circuit switched until the M-SCP component in the network and
> packet-switched (called the PCD-P network) higher up in the network.
>
> Arjen van Blokland
> arjen@fra.allnet.ne.jp

ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144
hex:   \x72 \x65 \x6e \x66 \x69 \x65 \x6c  \x64
e-business technology | engineering & strategy | wireless