(keitai-l) Re: Mobile Phones Must Die?

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 01/25/01
Mark Thompson wrote:
> I believe the West HAS woken up to the input problems, if you consider the
> fact that many Western handset makers have integrated easy-to-use input
> systems such as Tegic's T9. (I am in no way affiliated with Tegic though I
> have seen a demo and I was very impressed). I have yet to see anything
> similar on Japanese cellphones -- thus the need for kawaii icons, preset
> messages and Morse code slang. Yes, they reflect a capabilty to adapt
> language to specific situations yada yada yada, but are they necessary,
> given the technology that is available? At this point in time, should't we
> be able to communicate as naturally as possible without learning shorthand
> and crytic codes?

Well, you have to remember that Japanese already incorporates an
efficient set of shorthand and cryptic codes combined, known as
Chinese characters.  And I'm serious: Japanese phones already have
Tegic-type logic in them.  When you enter "kaidan", the phone
guesses that you probably mean the staircase "kaidan", but you
may mean the conversation "kaidan" or the ghost-shory "kaidan"
instead.

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo