(keitai-l) Re: Japanese phone numbers

From: Nick May <nick_at_kyushu.com>
Date: 01/25/01
keitai-l@appelsiini.net writes:
>There's a couple of things we need to remember:
>* As far as I've tested, i-mode phones automatically highlight phone
>numbers (or
>any string of single-byte ascii numbers in a web page) for click-dialing,
>whether or not there is a tel: link

I have not seen this on any of my phones and it definitely does NOT happen
on my F209i (the only one I have to hand to test with). YMMV of course...
Can you post a url of something that does this on your phone so that we
can test it?

>* Lauren's code would automatically insert tel: links around phone
>numbers in
>the web page, not add them magically to a page.

Er - well - yes.....  Though I hear tell there be some powerful magic in
that google enjun.... I don't think anyone believes that google is
intending splashing linked telephone numbers at random through the
text.... (Not as daft an idea as it sounds though - didn't Deja Vu have a
biz model at one time that involved hotlinking product references in
usenet posts to the product home page? Well  of course it IS a daft idea,
but that doesn't mean that some bright spark of an MBA is not at this very
moment patenting it....)

>So if the page didn't already
>contain a phone number, there'd be no link, and if it did, it'd probably
>get
>highlighted automatically anyway

This last is very much in need of confirmation. It is definitely not a
behaviour common to all phones. I am curious to know which phones - and
which browsers DO this....

Nick