(keitai-l) Re: Dual mode phone PDC/GSM

From: Ben Hutchings <ben.hutchings_at_roundpoint.com>
Date: 01/26/01
Renfield Kuroda wrote:

> Gustaf Rosell wrote:
>
> > DoCoMo will relase a dual mode PDC/GSM phone on Jan 29.
> >
> > It will probably be as boring as the other 601 phones. which is
> > a pity. And no GPRS if I understand correctly.
> >
> > It's a start at least.
> >

> It's also a couple of thousand dollars.
<snip>

With a tri-band GSM phone I can get service in most countries that have
some cell-phone network, the most important exception being Japan.  A
dual-mode phone might correct that, but if I'm not mistaken this phone
only supports the 900 MHz GSM band.  That means it won't work in the US
(and maybe other countries if they only use the 1800 MHz band).  I
wonder what the target market is for this phone, and how large that is?