(keitai-l) Re: Dual mode phone PDC/GSM

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 01/27/01
At 22:00 2001-01-26, you wrote:
>Gustaf Rosell wrote:
>
> > At 19:03 2001-01-26, you wrote:
> >
> > >With a tri-band GSM phone I can get service in most countries that have
> > >some cell-phone network, the most important exception being Japan.  A
> > >dual-mode phone might correct that, but if I'm not mistaken this phone
> > >only supports the 900 MHz GSM band.  That means it won't work in the US
> > >(and maybe other countries if they only use the 1800 MHz band).  I
> > >wonder what the target market is for this phone, and how large that is?
> >
> > Quite large. Western Europe, large part of Eastern Europe, larger
> > parts of Asia with important locations like Hong Kong, Singapore,
> > Australia and Malaysia. The most important exceptions are South Korea,
> > South America and North America.
>
>That's surely the area in which it can be used, not the target market.
>I understood that it would only be sold to Japanese residents.
>
> > So for a travelling Japanese user it is quite useful. It's a pity
> > that it's an inferior phone.
>
>Well I was wondering how many Japanese travellers go mainly to those
>places and not to the US.  (And isn't the PDC system usable outside
>Japan, e.g. in Hong Kong?)

A lot. But I would expect that there may be a 3xGSM/1xPDC in the future.

> > I know that one of the manufacturers are working on a 6 band phone with a
> > target weight of 180 g. 3xGSM, 2xCDMA, 1xPDC.
>

>You are confused.

Most likely. But not that much in this matter. You are somewhat rightish in
that TDMA is a digital radio technology, but it is also a standard (IS-54),
the preferred 2/2,5G of AT&T until DoCoMo came and shaked things around.
GSM and PDC are TDMA derivates. With CDMA I guess they meant cdmaOne/PCS
according to the IS-95B standard on 800 and 1900 Mhz respectively.

/g

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747