(keitai-l) Re: Frustration makes way for...

From: John Ellenby <john_at_geovector.com>
Date: 01/30/01
From: Victor Pikula <victor@pikula.com>
To: keitai-l@appelsiini.net <keitai-l@appelsiini.net>
Date: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 9:00 AM
Subject: (keitai-l) Re: Frustration makes way for...

>Hello all,
>
>John wrote:
>> There is MASSIVE latent demand here in the US.
>
>But where is the related growth in supply? As far as my knowledge of
economic
>growth goes, it seems to me that the extreme growth period for the US is
over.
>This would imply that raising funds for new and exciting business areas is
>more difficult. Lay-offs are already a daily part of cnnfn.com's headlines.
>http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/01/29/companies/layoffs/
------------
Victor

I'm sure that you are right and that the next "Msoft" will likely come from
Japan.

However, let's not overlook the fact that i-mode was born and has
experienced it's amazing growth during a period when the Japanese economy
was essentially flat. Mari Matsunaga was brought into DoCoMo from Recruit
recognized the latent demand,  just starting to manifest itself, amongst Gen
Y and went after it.

Let's not overlook the spending power of Gen Y in the US. Roughly speaking,
the boundaries of Generation Y run from ages 5 to 20, with particular
importance paid to the adolescent, teenage set of 12 to 19 -- 31 million
people. This is the fastest-growing demographic group in the United States
under age 65, with their DIRECT spending put at an estimated $275 billion
annually.

The products may be, and likely will be, designed and manufactured in Japan.
The services will likely leverage Japanese models and very likely Japanese
notions of Anime but increasingly big $$$$$ will be made in the US.

John
GeoVector
www.geovector.com