(keitai-l) Re: KDDI goes to bed with rewamped OpenWave

From: Gustaf Rosell <gustaf_at_xpedio.com>
Date: 02/01/01
At 01:51 2001-01-31, you wrote:
>Gustaf Rosell wrote:
>
> > Poor KDDI.
> >
> > Doesn't seem to be the best way to stimulate their growth.
>
>Why do you say this?

Two reasons:

1 <subjective>
In my view phone.com/Openwave is one of the companies that we may
"grateful" for for having WAP. They were one of the driving forces behind
this, sitting also in W3C at this time. They saw an opportunity to leverage
their own proprietary system to somewhat that would resemble a standard. It
has also been proven in many cases that they have continued to deliver
proprietary HDML solutions rather than standard look-a-like WML. This is
quite clear in the case of EZWeb, where the format is an extended version
of HDML. It may also be part of the reason for why there is not very much
content for EZWeb. Several content developers have clearly said that they
dislike the format and capabilitiesis of EZWeb.

2 <more objective>
Au/KDDI is late on the market with more advanced services such as 3G or
Java (Java is not even scheduled). They need to find ways to build upon
their strengths (rather than inherent weaknesses...) and try to find unique
characteristics.

cdmaOne is quite good network. Voice quality is good and bandwidth is not
tha much less than DoCoMo's initial FOMA services. packetOne is also one of
the most true Internet/IP solutions out there, with very few strange
telecom engineer shortcut.

So in my opinion, they should build upon this and develop a high bandwidth,
true Internet based service (and with Java also, since everyone else will
have this (J-phone will go Java-phone soon...).

In this perspective Openwave's solutions are just not fit, and this is
valid also for their new solutions as far as I see.

/gustaf

http://xped.io | gustaf_at_xpedio.com | t +46 8 674 50 47 | m +46 70 916 4747