(keitai-l) Re: Graphical i-mode latency app

From: rolf van widenfelt <rolf_at_pizzicato.com>
Date: 02/03/01

> I have just finished adding a dynamically generated graph to our i-mode ping
> tool which shows the latency spread and where you appear on it with other
> i-mode users.
>
> As we collect more data, I hope to be able to show i-mode speeds over a 24
> hour and weekly period. So far it looks like DoCoMo is doing a good job with
> numbers falling between around 150 and 200ms but I have had much worse
> unrecorded results in the past. Good ammunition to pre-empt any client
> access complaints ;)

great idea!

here's a thought on how you might measure the real roundtrip time from your server
to an i-mode keitai:

create a test page that is as simple as possible but contains one gif image.
from your server, measure the time from when you serve that page to when you get
the request for the gif image.
this time should be the roundtrip time to the actual handset plus some
additional time
for the microbrowser to look at the cHTML page and find the image to fetch.
i can't guess the microbrowser time, but we could hope that it is small compared to
the roundtrip time.

-rolf