(keitai-l) Re: Getting Data from Phone onto Computer

From: Jani PATOKALLIO <jpatokal_at_iki.fi>
Date: 02/07/01
Andrew Shuttleworth wrote:
> Jani PATOKALLIO wrote:
> > there for, I personally zapped phonebooks/configuration files
> > back and forth hundreds of times back in the good old days.
>
> Getting closer. So what did you zap them to and what software did you have
> to manage all of this?

Custom-brewed Nokia software on a standard PC in Nokia's Akasaka
R&D testing lab...  but most bigger mobile phone shops (at least in
Finland) have some variant of the system sitting in a back room.
If they can update the flash ROM on the phone, they can save and
restore config files too.  Basically, the problem is that while it
certainly is technically doable, you'll have to convince someone that
it's worth their while to arrange it for you.  It's no sweat off
*their* back to have you rekey 200 numbers, after all.

There are also bizarre policies restricting the use of the systems.
E.g. in Finland most shops will transfer numbers between phones of
the same operator, but not to a new operator, and they'll slap 100+
marks in service fees for pressing a few keys.  Closed standards and
anticompetitive measures, always such a luvverly way of screwing
the consumer...

Cheers,
--
Jani PATOKALLIO / jpatokal@iki.fi / +81 90 7722 3557
Sanpo Laboratory, Mechano-Informatics Dept., University of Tokyo