(keitai-l) Re: Frustration makes way for...

From: Eijkemans, Paul <Paul.Eijkemans_at_ben.nl>
Date: 02/07/01
>But why eaven discuss WML and other parts of WAP <= 1.2, when it is already

>clear that it is history? And why do people continue to implement WAP
>solutions when the future convergence is already decided?

Maybe because we are making money with it now...? Same reason why people
continue
developing in cHTML while everyone knows that the future is also not in
cHTML.
Please note that WAP is far more than the WML language only, it's also about
very efficient communication protocols, security, etc. To look at WAP and
only
seeing WML is the same as looking at i-Mode technology and only seeing
cHTML.

>The only reason for even thinking about using WAP/WML, as I see it, is that

>there are no handsets available for western markets with XHTML Basic
browsers.

"If the handsets would support a Swahili-scripting language, we would be all
building Swahili-scripting based sites. The only reason for even thinking
about
using i-Mode technology is that there are not handsets available for
Japanese
markets with XHTML browsers. " See the analogy?

Don't try to bash WAP technology. Again, looking at it from a technical
perspective
any expert would argue that it is even superior to i-Mode technology. But at
the end, that doesn't matter since it needs great business models to get it
working. That's what is missing. And yes, I am getting sick of people here
in Europe praising i-Mode technology over WAP while it is definately not the
technology that did the thing in Japan.

Paul

This message does not necessarily represent the opinion of my employer.