(keitai-l) Re: Bar Codes to Mobile Phones (Alan Corp/Q-Phon)

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 02/08/01
Hi,

> If my memory serves me correctly, an earlier post on this list said
that the
> barcode/coupon collectors let anyone in who was waving a keitai,
without
> actually checking the barcode itself?

Well, waving the keitai alone was not enough, you had to show them the
coupon on the screen at least, but they obviously didn't check the
actual ID on the coupon (the coupons had no barcode), so people could
have copied the coupon to other people's i-mode handsets to allow them
access as well.

The story thread on keitai-l was here
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2000-11/0235.html

and the comment from Jani PATOKALLIO about how to get in here:
http://www.appelsiini.net/keitai-l/archives/2000-11/0267.html

quote: "in real life, entrance verification was handled by pretty girls
in cowboy hats who looked at the screen of your phone and waved you in
if it looked good enough -- somehow I doubt they were computing XORs in
their heads.  A few suited guys with clipboards ran interference, but
they weren't even crossing names off a list or anything..."

Cheers,
Andrea
--
Andrea Hoffmann   ---   Editor-in-Chief   ---    MMJ
hoffmann_at_mobilemediajapan.com - http://mobilemediajapan.com