(keitai-l) Re: KDDI goes to bed with rewamped OpenWave

From: Eijkemans, Paul <Paul.Eijkemans_at_ben.nl>
Date: 02/08/01
Then tell me if there was another technology available at that moment that
would have made the European customers more happy than they are now.
No, because there wasn't any, not even i-Mode technology. In the future,
there probably will be several very nice and integarted technologies, but
that's the future.

To compare: "I think my car is crap because it can't fly." Would that be an
intelligent
statement? Well, only if there are possibilities available that could have
been used by the car manufacturer to make the car fly. Maybe in the future,
yes,
but will make that the technology as it is now any less?

For handsets it's different. There are better handsets available than that
are offered by the Western (and some Japanese) manufacturers (and yes, I
know
that PDC requires less space than GSM and that PDC has far lower voice
quality). People in Europe tend to see i-Mode technology as one with high
profile handsets,
and WAP technology as one with low profile handsets, while it is perfectly
possible to combine high profile handsets with WAP (see AU shops?).

For billing it's also different. Content billing, thus the possibility to
invest
in good services and creating a platform for which third parties are
developing,
has been done by several network operators. Why don't they all go that way?
(rethorical)

These are some of the drivers that made i-Mode (there are more), though
indirectly, a success.

Best regards,
Paul

>Gustaf Rosell wrote:
> >In my view phone.com/Openwave is one of the companies that we may
> >"grateful" for for having WAP. They were one of the driving forces behind
>
>Why the " "? Do you think that consumers in Europe would have been happier
>if there was another technology in place?

>No. You are probably right. We have the technology we deserve in Europe and

>Just living in Wireless Valley is so groovy in itself, that we will not
need mobile
>Internet in reality. Just the idea of a glorious connected future should be

>enough.

The above doesn't necessarily represent the opinion of my employer.